Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Make Poverty History

Nearly two years ago, I was introduced to The ONE Campaign. I probably learned about it from a friend who had recently signed their ONE Campaign Declaration and urged me to do the same.





At that time, I read more and when I learned they were trying to "rally Americans to fight the emergency of global AIDS and extreme poverty," I quickly added my voice to their resolution.

Undoubtedly, they asked me to let my friends and family know about my actions and encourage them to follow suit. I think I shared the information with a few close people I thought would be receptive. But didn't send it to everyone I know.

Why not? I guess I felt that while most of us are vaguely aware of the situation of extreme poverty, since many of us struggle with our own finances, we don't think there is much we can do to stop it.

The Girl in the Cafe poignantly articulated that we can win the fight against extreme poverty. The movie highlights the fact that:

Young children and pregnant women bear the brunt of inadequate health systems. Every year, 10 million children die before their fifth birthday, nearly all of them from preventable causes. Each year, more than 500,000 mothers die from complications during child birth. There are affordable technologies and interventions in existence that would prevent nearly all of these deaths."

And that's one of many issues. With statistics like these, I believe we must do what needs to be done now. I have been moved to speak up, speak out and ask you to do the same.

Nearly 2.5 million people "are already standing as one. " Bono and Brad Pitt are involved with this cause, as well as many other "notable signatores." Even the Kaiser Chiefs, Cam (see photos #11 & 21).

Please visit www.one.org, review the ONE Campaign Declaration. Thank you for considering joining us.

m&c
m&c2
m&c3
m&c4

No comments: