Wednesday, April 18, 2007

I saw their faces...

This morning, I saw the faces of some of the victims of this week's tragic massacre at Virginia Tech and started to cry.

Lauren McCain, Hampton, Va










Brian Bluhm, 25, master's student in water resources.

He had already received his undergraduate degree in civil engineering and accepted a job in Baltimore.




Austin Cloyd, 18, International Studies student









Juan Ramon Ortiz, Engineering grad student, 32









Ryan Clark, 22, Biology and English Major









Kevin Granata, Engineering professor









Jocelyn Couture-Nowak, French instructor, wife








Jarrett Lee Lane, 22










Reema Samaha










Matthew Joseph La Porte, 20










Jeremy Herbstritt, 27










Daniel Perez Cueva, Peruvian student, shot during French class, 21









Daniel O'Neil, Lincoln, R.I.










Liviu Librescu , Holocaust survivor, saved the lives of several students by blocking the gunman from entering his classroom.







Everyone who was lost is not pictured here. These are the faces I saw this morning.

I grieve for the loss of these individuals and their futures as well as the victims I have not learned about yet.

A dear friend of mine and one of my aunts have each lost a husband tragically, leaving children behind. Knowing the devastation the loss of a loved one brings, I grieve for the families and friends of the victims.

And I grieve for the young man who was so angry and alone he turned to violence.

Offer kindness to a stranger today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I understand what you mean. Seeing the faces of these people, especially doing something or with another person in the picture is another gut wrenching realization of what happened. Here were some really bright kids with amazing futures (or even an average life). And then the professors who still had much to give in the classrooms and in the research field.
I tried to keep away from the TV Monday and Tuesday as much as I could. But it was every where.

And I echo your thoughts. I feel so badly that the young man felt so much rage that he took it out on so many people. People have talked about how it could be avoided, but if he didn't get help that was offered, I don't see how it could be forced on him. I also don't see how they could have forseen it actually coming to a head like this.

Pray for the families of the victims and the gunman. Pray for the students and faculity on the campus. (Or if you don't pray, at least send good vibes out.)

Carma
(bc I still can't get Blogger to recognize me.)