Saturday, November 18, 2006

Another reason I love my husband

As I type this, Cameron is at the Blood Centers of the Pacific's Marin location, hooked up to some device. Cameron has donated blood regularly since before I knew him. The last time he gave, he learned about a different way to donate blood called Apheresis.

"Apheresis (ay-fur-ee-sis) is a special kind of blood donation that allows a donor to give specific blood components, such as platelets."

I guess that normally, after someone donates whole blood, it is separated into three components, platelets, red cells and plasma. The blood center says that only two tablespoons of platelets are collected from a whole blood donation. So, six whole blood donations are required to provide a single platelet transfusion. Conversely, one apheresis donation provides enough platelets for a complete transfusion.

So, why wouldn't anyone who donates blood agree to this procedure? Apparently, they use a larger needle and it stays attached for up to 2 hours. For a needle phob like myself, this sounds worse than hearing nails on a chalkboard for two hours straight. Cam, however, assures me he will be fine, happily surfing the web or watching a movie.

I am thrilled he is so willing to give in this important way and wish I were half as brave. Who needs fictional role models? The man I am married to has "traits others can appreciate and learn from..."

I'm so proud of him for literally helping save lives in this way.

It is one more reason why I love him.

1 comment:

SwampDippers said...

Thanks, babe. A very sweet post. I love you.