Saturday, March 01, 2008

Sam is the Walrus.

A couple of weeks ago, while Sam was spending the night at Leo's, Cam and I went out to dinner then we came home and watched a movie I've wanted to see since I saw the first preview. I loved Across the Universe.

Honestly, I'd never been much of a Beatles fan but the compelling story and arresting images combined with talented performances of their songs brought the Beatles' music to life for me.

Putting a new spin on something old has made it new for me. All of a sudden, I am interested.

Later, I wished Sam had been able to see at least parts of the movie. (We'll probably watch the whole thing with him another time.)

That weekend, I kept singing, I am the Eggman. They are the Eggmen. I am the walrus. Koo koo ka choo. (It appears the actual lyrics may be goo goo g'joob but that isn't what I was singing.)

I never even liked that song, before watching Bono perform it in the bizarre world of this movie. The next thing I knew, Sam and Leo were singing it.

We sampled the song then bought the soundtrack on itunes and have been singing Beatles songs together for the past week. I am reveling in learning them alongside him.

I'm sorry I missed the 60s and the Beatles. I'd have loved to have been part of a revolution about peace and love.

Maybe I'll get the chance yet.

No comments: