Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Almost Shot Near San Quentin Prison Today

Ok. Maybe not nearly shot but on my way to the Marin Recycling Center where I was trying to get rid of a car-full of broken-down cardboard boxes from the move, I had missed the road I was supposed to have turned on and wanted to turn around before getting on the5.5 mile Richmond Bridge. I passed the prison, choosing not to turn off near it on my right. Instead, I turned into what looked like a parking lot a bit further down on the left. Immediately, I saw signs stating "Authorized State Personnel Only" and I swear something about a "Firing Squad." A man, getting out of his truck, gave me a startled, "What the (bleep) are you doing here?" face and started walking towards me. I gave a timid wave, finished my turn and got out of there as quickly as I could. After delivering our recyclables, I drove back by that part of the road on my way home and saw the gate around the parking area was closed and likely locked. The guy with the truck had probably just pulled in and hadn't had time to close the gate before I pulled in right behind him. Oh well. All's well that ends well, I guess. It makes a fun story anyway...

By the way, I just did a bit of research on this prison, California's oldest one. Apparently, our state's death row inmates live less than seven miles away from us. Comforting. Regardless, we have many beautiful and amazing things here but didn't think either Cam or I had mentioned the prison yet and thought that was a shame. Although from a distance, especially if I didn't know what I was looking at, even San Quentin seems beautiful.

P.S. This is not my photo but I'm not sure who took it.

No comments: