Sunday, July 20, 2008

Rantings about my favorite music...

As I've mentioned before, I am enjoying connecting with folks via Facebook. When I was creating my profile, it asked about my favorite music. I've decided to transcribe those rantings here and replace them there w/a list so that I have room to add new artists whose music I am getting to know. Below is what I originally wrote.

Narrowing things down is always so hard for me. Any list of my music favorites seems incomplete. I usually start with Shawn Mullins because his music is very meaningful to me.

I bought a Linkin Park song this week, I like that "Shadow of the Day" song they've been playing on the radio lately.
Right now, I'm listening to my Howie Day station on Pandora. Cam and I saw Howie Day in Chicago and like him a lot.

Tonight, in addition to Howie, they've played songs by the following artists I like, Ben Harper, Dave Matthews Band, Snow Patrol, Augustana, Train, Better Than Ezra, Weezer, Dashboard Confessional (I can't name many (or any) of their songs but I can not not sing along with For You to Notice. I need to buy it. Gosh, it is their 72nd most popular song.)


Blues Traveler (MRZ & I saw them during Memphis in May, along with Ben Harper.) and now they are playing Josh Kelley. I like hundreds (if not thousands) of other artists too but maybe this will give you an idea of my musical taste.

There are the Goo Goo Dolls, finally being served on Pandora. Where would I be w/o the Goo Goo Dolls? Their concert at my first Memphis in May festival, with my friend Sherry, was a turning point in my process of finding Mary. Later, the love, understanding and encouragement in their songs would sing me through hard times. "There's no time left for losing. When you stand, they fall."

More they played tonight... Jack Johnson, Damien Rice...

More music: Jen Chapin (Cam got her CD for me after hearing her on a flight home from some business trip and thinking I'd like her music. I love it. Later, I found out my friend, Melissa Rose Ziemer had played with Jen.)

Brian Vander Ark (Cam and I saw him open for The Samples at House of Blues show where we were enamored with each other and his voice. - He has a Jen Chapin connection too.)

Rachael Yamagata (Melissa said her friend who had played with Bumpus had a solo CD, I bought it to check it out and support her friend. It turned into one of our favorite CDs of the year.)

The Nadas (They were the only ones inviting me out on weekend nights when I was first single, Sam was having visitation with his dad and all my friends were home with their husbands.) Hello Dave (Were on the FreshTracks tour with the Nadas. I met MRZ at one of their shows. I'd been alone in St. Louis, Sam was in Iowa and again, the band's was the only social invitation I had so I drove to Carbondale where I met Melis.)

Cowboy Mouth (saw them at Memphis in May with Sherry and Shay and again at HOB, Chicago with Stacey as she was helping me try to find a job there. Thanks, Stace.

Lifehouse, Collective Soul, Pat McGee Band...

What about Dispatch? Through Pandora, I was introduced to the song Outloud. I didn't know anything about Dispatch except that I couldn't stop singing that song. I was thrilled to learn about how after visiting Zimbabwae, members of the band were inspired to do something about the poverty and death they saw there. They've written music inspired by the culture and people they met there (I love Elias from All Points Bulletin (Live)) and held concerts to raise funds to make a difference in the area.

How could I forget Pete Yorn?

New artists I added to my Facebook list today include: Newton Faulkner, Matt Costa, Pink, John Mayer.

Brett Dennen and Yael Naim both had videos I enjoyed on the Virgin America flight to and from Seattle.





Again, this is an incomplete list. Just sharing. Thanks for caring.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey guys, thanks for helping promote Brian Vander Ark!

we wanted everyone who reads to know that Brian has signed a record deal with Second Motion Records out of Chapel Hill, NC. Second Motion also works with artists such as Daniel Lanois, Gemma Hayes, Athenaeum, Die! Die! Die! and Adam Franklin of Swervedriver. Judging by the music you are mentioning here, you will surely like both Athenaeum and Gemma Hayes.

Second Motion is releasing all three albums: Resurrection, Angel Put Your Face On and Brian Vander Ark.

All three will be available September 30th in stores, itunes and all digital outlets, amazon and all online outlets and special preorders on Second Motion's website (with special discount for ordering all three) downloads are also available on Second Motion

visit: http://www.secondmotionrecords.com for more info, site will launch about mid August with preorders and more info about all artists.

thanks again for helping us spread the word about Brian!

second motion records
chapel hill, nc