Friday, July 11, 2008

Bunch of Balloons

At the conclusion of a recent CASA volunteer app-
reciation event, one of my lovely co-workers started popping the balloons. There was no glee involved, she was just trying to dispose of them.

Without really thinking, I said, "You're murdering the balloons."





She explained that she didn't have room in her car to take them, that she'd tried to donate them to a hospital but been turned down because of the latex... I said, I'd take them.

While I was gathering up my things, they brought maybe 20 balloons together into a bouquet and handed them to me.

I felt like I might float off like Piglet from Winnie the Pooh. Several times, on my way to and from the ferry, I ran and jumped, trying to get the feeling of being lifted but; alas, I was more like Eeyore.

On the ferry, the balloons received much attention and I was able to pass some out to a couple of awe-struck children.

When I got home that night, Sam was already asleep but the next morning, he woke up to see the ceiling above his bed covered in balloons. He had so much fun with them.
(The orange stripe is from his Giant's game w/Cam.)


Leo came over for a sleepover and helped him try to defeat them but the balloons are resilient.

Weeks later, some still remain.

Good to know there are some perks to having your mom work as an advocate for other kids.

This Flickr set has more photos of Sam attacking the balloons.

No comments: