Saturday, October 06, 2007

Tell me that you'll open your eyes.

After two weeks of working full time, in my new job, I have a lot to process.

I got what I wanted. (photo credit)

I am now part of solving one of the big problems, one of the problems that matter.

I knew that San Francisco has 2,000 kids living in foster care.

(Those kids could fill
more than four schools the size of Sam's school.)

(photo credit)


This week, I learned that LA County has 27,000 kids in the same boat. That's a big boat.

(From age 5-18, I lived in towns with much smaller populations.)

(photo credit)


California has 80,000 kids who aren't able to live with their parents.

(Those kids could populate a town the size of Lawrence, Kansas.) (photo credit)


In the United States, there are 500,000 kids in the foster care system.

There are more kids living in foster care than there are people living in New Orleans (or Tuscon or Las Vegas or Cleveland or Albuquerque or Atlanta or Oakland or Minneapolis or St. Louis or Pittsburgh or Raleigh.) (photo credit)

When something happens to cities of that size, we pay attention.

There are a lot of kids who need our help. We need to pay attention.

Snow Patrol's Open Your Eyes has been the theme of my week.

(Click here, select Open Your Eyes and give it a listen.)

I want so much to open your eyes. 'Cause I need you to look into mine. (photo credit)

Tell me, that you'll open your eyes.

Tell me, that you'll open your eyes.

Tell me, that you'll open your eyes.

'Cause I need you to look into mine.
(photo credit)

No comments: