Friday, June 29, 2007

What inspires you?

A couple of days ago, I made a small donation to Barack Obama's presidential campaign. (photo credit) They sent me an inspiring email with a testimonial from a woman who donated $10.
They said that while money was important, what they care about was that supporters give what we can afford to give and submit personal stories about why we gave, to inspire others. (photo credit)

I figured if they genuinely appreciated her $10, I could afford to donate what I make in one hour. See below for what I wrote about why I was inspired to donate and visit his site to read notes from other donors this week.

After 10 years of working in advertising, I left that field in search of more meaningful work. For the past two years, I have worked in the public school system while pursuing a master's degree in counseling/social work. I read Barack's first book and admire the work he did to enact change in Chicago. (photo credit)

I am a pacifist and believe that fighting doesn't solve anything. When I read that we are spending $11 million dollars per hour on war and that people are dying every day, I think it is such a waste. Imagine if that money and those lives could have been invested in positive change.

It is time for change. I was inspired by Joann's story. Like her, I don't feel like I have much to give or that the little bit I can spare would mean much. But I do believe that if everyone who wants change gave to this campaign, together we could make a difference. (photo credit)

As a substitute teacher, I earn just $14 an hour (before taxes). Today, I can give that much. Thanks for inspiring me and for doing good things.

Click here if you are inspired to support Barack's campaign to reclaim the American dream.

No comments: