Sunday, June 17, 2007

Appreciating Cam

Sam's dad and I separated when he was just 14 months old. He and I were on our own for over five years.

Then, along came Cam.

The first time Cam came to our house to meet Sam, Cam was early and I was running late. Actually, I was still in the shower. Cam rang our building's buzzer. Sam ran downstairs to let him in, locking both of them out in the process.

I could hear Sam talking and having fun while I was getting ready. I was thankful Cam hadn't arrived yet and I had a few extra minutes to finish getting ready. Then, I came out of the bathroom and realized that Sam hadn't been talking to himself but that he and Cam had been calmly sitting on the steps in the hallway outside our locked apartment, happily exchanging stories and swapping jokes, while I'd been blow drying my hair.

We all felt so familiar and at home together right away.

Cam was a good sport about it and things have progressed wonderfully ever since.

Cam has a way of continually bringing happiness and joy into both of our lives.












We love spending time together and making memories.














On yesterday's hike, I was thinking about how grateful I am that Cam and Sam have a relationship all their own.

Cam, thank you for loving, sharing, giving, caring, teaching and being everything a dad should be.

Happy Father's Day.

We love you.

No comments: