Friday, May 23, 2008

Some hope...

More than 20 days after natural disaster struck Myanmar, there is a glimmer of hope that the humanitarian tragedy the world has been watching, suffering people being denied available aide, may be coming to an end.

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, on a mission to open Myanmar to international disaster assistance, said the ruling junta agreed Friday to allow "all aid workers" into the country to help cyclone survivors.

I was uplifted after reading about people like dissident comedian U Thura and other volunteers who have been lugging relief goods into remote villages in the Irrawaddy Delta over the past two weeks.

That story and this photo have me singing Rhianna's Umbrella song.

You have my heart and we'll never be world's apart... When you need me there, with you, I'll always share.

Because when the sun shines, we shine together. Told you I'll be here forever. Said I'll always be your friend. Took an oath, I'm gonna stick it out 'till the end.

Now that it's raining more than ever, know that we'll still have each other.

You can stand under my umbrella.

You can stand under my umbrella.

When the world has dealt it's cards, if the hand is hard, together we'll mend your heart...

You can stand under my umbrella.

No comments: