Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Be Safe, Mom & Dad

My folks were just here for two weeks.

Two weeks is a long time to try to coordinate with anyone on a daily basis, especially when ideas about how to spend time and what types of things are good to eat are so varied.

I want to thank them for getting a hotel room so that we weren't completely on top of each other and were able to give each other breathing room from time to time. I also want to thank them for coming. We had some wonderful times.

They ended up with these tickets because they could use their frequent flier miles for these dates. They hadn't planned to be in the Bay Area the entire time. My dad was going to do some consulting work in Santa Barbara during the first week. They talked about exploring other parts of California too.

Then, one day in October, my dad's head started hurting. It hurt so much that my mom took him to the hospital. Eventually, we found out that he has a pituitary tumor. Pituitary tumors are usually benign so it probably isn't cancerous but it is still a really big deal.

Something I read said your pituitary gland is located between your ears and behind your nose.

Next week, a neuro-
surgeon is going to operate on that spot in my dad's head and try to get rid of the tumor without disrupting anything else.

The guy is supposed to be world-renowned and apparently was one of the people who developed the procedure. So, he should know what he is doing and it should be fine. Still it is pretty scary.

I know my brother is worried and really wishes he could be there. While I'd like to be there too, it doesn't seem feasible and there isn't much I can do anyway.

It sounds like my dad's big brother, my Uncle Jerry is going to be there. His wife, my Aunt Carolyn, may come too.

Two of my mom's sisters my Aunt Sandy and my other Aunt Carolyn are planning to come along with their husbands Fred and Barry.

My dad said that if they all make it, my parents will be surrounded and supported by the same people who stood up with them at their wedding.

My Aunt Alice and Uncle Suvid may come too.

I am grateful to all the members of my family who are willing and able to be there as well as everyone who has offered comfort.



Know I am thinking of you, Dad and hoping for the best.

With much love,
Mary

1 comment:

Carma said...

Oh, Mary. I complete understand your worry and concern about your dad. It sounds like your folks will be surrounded by family and you can pray (send good vibes, whatever) and call them after the surgery.
It sounds like he will be getting the best care possible. And while it IS "Brain sugery", the procedures have gotten so much better over the past few years.
I will keep your mom and dad in my prayers, as well as you and your brother so you don't fret.
{{Hugs!}}