Thursday, September 07, 2006

Fish stew

The same Monday I picked up four free planters and started a patio garden, I looked up a recipe for dinner. I was in the mood for a vegetable stew sort of dinner. When I looked through the cookbook, I decided on the fish stew.

My grocery list was pretty extensive and included fennel, fish stock, two pounds of fresh fish and shellfish, several fresh herbs including saffron. I wasn't sure I'd find everything at Safeway so I decided to go to Whole Foods and get the good stuff. The bill for these ingredients plus a couple of avocados and some bread came to nearly $100. This had better be good stew, I thought. I had fun chopping all of the fresh veggies. They looked pretty sauteeing in olive oil.

Eventually, I added the fish (I think I picked Red Snapper), mussels, clams and shrimp. In the end, it was a lot of work and just ok tasting in my opinion. Cam was complimentary which I appreciate greatly. I did reheat some of the left-overs after school one day this week and added some butter and salt which makes just about everything taste better. We still have some in the freezer plus a surplus of fish stock. We had guacamole the next night and are still enjoying the bag of oranges I bought to get some orange peel and have eaten the tomatoes all week. And since I am looking forward to defrosting the remainder another day, I guess it was all worthwhile. It was noteworthy in my life, anyway.

No comments: