Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Juxtaposition

Juxtaposition: an act or instance of placing close together or side by side, esp. for comparison or contrast.

I had a weird day. As a volunteer with Project Homeless Connect, I spent the day with a woman who currently lives under a bridge, sitting with her while she talked to a medical professionals, making sure they were listening and responding to her, keeping her company while she got her hair cut, helping her get some food, listening to her tell her story. At the end of the day, I rode in the van that took her back to her home under the bridge. She's 33 (3 years younger than me).

Then, tonight, I went to a mandatory parent meeting at Sam's school where after we paid for damage insurance, they gave each of these 6th graders brand new MacBooks (laptops).

I'm glad my child has so much but don't know how to reconcile that with so many having so little. It reminds me of this quote from the FDR Memorial in DC.

No comments: