Saturday, September 22, 2007

Snow Falling on Cedars

Unintentionally, I seem to have been on a bit of a historical fiction kick, lately. I'd heard good things about both The Hummingbird's Daughter and Snow Falling on Cedars but didn't really know the premise of either until diving in.

Part of Snow Falling on Cedars is told from the perspective of a Japanese American citizen. Around the time of the attacks on Pearl Harbor, she shares her experience of being sent off to the internment camps with her family.

Another of the main characters takes us long with him on his unit's devastating attack on an island in Japan.

Both experiences were unbelievable.

I am not as enamored with this book at I am with THD but it is worthy of a mention. I just put the movie near the top of our queue.

No comments: